Monday, February 27, 2012

QAYG progress report and a little blizzard

I talked about my quilt-as-you-go project here and here.  To recap, I need 56 blocks to finish my king-sized quilt.  I've divided the 56 into 19 blue/grey blocks, 18 pinkish blocks, and I have yet to finish the remaining 19 purple/black blocks.  So far, I'm not loving the the pink blocks.  However, I'm drawing only from the fabric in my stash and trying to keep a Tim-Gunn-let's-make-it-work attitude.

Once I put the pink and blue blocks together, I was a bit more satisfied.  This is going to be a very unusual looking quilt when (I will not say if) I get it done.  I was hoping to get all the blocks done before the end of Feb. but it's not looking that way.  I'm going to have to put all quilting aside in lieu of my typography project.  I think I know what I'm going to do--finally!!  I'll keep you posted.  :)

On Wednesday we had a nice little snow storm.  I was waiting for the kids to get out of school and it started to sprinkle.  Then the sprinkles turned to tiny little pellets of snow.  Then the little pellets turned into pea-sized hail.  We had thunder and lightning on the ride home from school.  Upon arriving at home, we had a nice fluffy snowfall.

The kids wanted to go out and make snow angels.  We're at the end of February and there won't be many more opportunities for playing in the snow, so I let the kids put aside homework and take advantage of the weather.  Soon after they went outside, I unleashed Pippa, our new little cockapoo.

My son, who has been afraid of dogs for many years, has really bonded with Pippa.  You see Pippa's a big ol' scaredy-dog and needs lots of reassurance as she encounters new things.  We rescued her from the local animal shelter so we're not sure why she's afraid of cars, doors, brooms, electric toothbrushes, garbage cans, etc.  My son can relate to feeling afraid and has taken a special interest in making sure Pippa gets lots of love and attention.   Every time I see them together I am so proud of their special partnership.

If you're reading this before February 29, 2012, go HERE and vote!
If you're reading this before March 31, 2012, go HERE and sign up! 


Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana,
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Awwww we've got a rescue cockapoo too, and we have a list of what he's afraid of: black pea coats, the Christmas tree, any outdoor decor (statues, things you stake into the ground), the vacuum cleaner, and my fuzzy slippers. But he is the sweetest, most affectionate thing I've ever seen. He'll be great for your son!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! The similarities between our dogs are pretty funny. Black pea coats? That made me laugh!

      Delete
  2. I still find it amazing how putting a fabric with a different coloured fabric, can totally alter the look. ie; The pinks by themselves or the pinks with the blues. Unlike you, I love pinks, so I like the pinks by themselves. Mixed with the blue gives a totally different, but equally good, look. It looks SUCH fun playing in the snow!!! I'm sure it has its downsides, but it must be wonderful on days like this!!! Enjoy the last of your snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow is already gone. But never fear, my birthday is next month and we usually have one more big snow around that time. 2 years ago it snowed 27 inches on my birthday! No joke.

      Delete
  3. I don't know why I'm surprised you don't have more snow, being in Montana. I remember traveling through the state in July one year and driving through a blizzard. But then, we don't have that much this year either and I know most people put Fargo, ND together with loads of snow and scary winters.

    Your quilt is starting to come together. How are you liking quilting as you go? I haven't tried that method yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I believe I've witnessed snow in every month of the year in Montana. It's not always cold though. Summers are often dry and scorching. I've only tried rag quilts before, but so far QAYG seems to be a good match for my needs. I don't have to worry about uckering and folding while quilting through all the layers...

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! No-reply commentors don't get to read my witty replies, and that's just sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...